Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Line cooking is scary and hard. Goat cheese is awesome

Sunday night I made my first serious attempt at line cooking. Mostly pizzas but some salads, chicken strips, and "queso crispas" thrown in the mix too. It was very exciting and I can't wait to learn more.

There are four pizzas on the menu at The Jones:

Napoli: Pepperoni, Italian sausage, sauteed mushrooms and red and green peppers on tomato sauce with mozzarella. $13

Bianca: Sauced in roasted shallots and garlic , then topped lightly with mozzarella, parmesan, tomatoes and parsley. $12

Chevre: Prosciutto, goat cheese and scallions over bechamel and light mozzarella. $14

Caprese: Tomato sauce topped with fresh basil, roma tomatoes, mozzarella and a sweet balsamic drizzle. $12

Now of these four choices in my opinion the Napoli and Caprese seem pretty standard and boring save for the balsmic drizzle on the Caprese. The Bianca is slightly more intersting if only because it features an alternative to tomato sauce, but I'd say it still lacks personality. The Chevre on the other hand is awesome. You can never go wrong with goat cheese and to pair it with prosciutto, scallions and what's more bechamel instead of tomato sauce? That's a pizza you don't see everyday. If I was walking into the jones for the first time and I decided to order a pizza it wouldn't even be a difficult decision for me to pick the Chevre. However when I was making pizzas on Sunday we got orders for at least three or four each of all the other varieties but not a single one for Chevre. I can't think of a single time I've even seen someone else making one either. They must get orders for it every once in a while othewise it wouldn't stay on the menu, but it really should be the most popular. Maybe the bechamel scares some people off. That's the only potential reason for its lack of popularity I can think of.

Chevre and pesto are now on my very slowly growing list of foods that can be flung on anything to make them both delicious and resectable.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

normal people are boring.

One day, I shall show up at the Jones and order the mothafuckin' Chevre, and that day you'll... uh...know i'm there.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page