Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sous chef

As some of you might know, The Jones' sous chef left for greener pastures at the end of April and ever since the chef has been working an average of 6.75 days a week. I, as the only other full time kitchen employee, have also been working an extra 6-8 hours a week more than I was before. About 3-4 of which are over time. I was working about 37 hours a week before, but I digress. Whenever I talk to friends or family about the sous chef leaving they invariably ask if I'm going to be promoted to sous chef. I suppose that's a reasonable question for a lay person to ask but the fact is, sous chef in a kitchen like The Jones' is a position for someone with at least 4 years good cooking experience in the right sorts of places. I just don't have that. But guess what? Now I'm sous chef anyway. [doing my best Stephen Colbert impression...] "WHOOOOO, We did it! [spinning around in my chair as balloons fall from the ceiling]. Chef said so, and hey if you look at every restaurant kitchen as definitely having a chef and a sous chef than I'm totally sous chef by default anyway. So from now on when people ask me what my job is I'm going to say "Oh, I'm sous chef over at The Jones." which is awesome.

Fuckin' sous chef yo! Hooray for me!

3 Comments:

Blogger jsalvati said...

Awesome! This makes me so happy!

9:07 PM  
Blogger John said...

wooot!

Katie says woot too.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey man, congrats. thats awesome.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page